Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Tuesday 1st August - Fatter than Scarlet O'Hara

I notice that Dig for Victory is using standard bloke measuring methods for his veg. I do not want to confess to having sausage fingers and chipped nail varnish so prefer to use a tape measure. Simon the Marrow now officially has a bigger waistline than Scarlet O'Hara. Unfortunately he is still a lot slimmer than me... but there's still time... and comfrey feed.


Looking at a giant marrow web page Simon will need to double in size to be a true champion. It is a strange world, that of the giant marrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what would Peter the Pole say!

Greenmantle said...

Simon is coming on splendidly isn't he. At least one of the "exhibitors" on your giant marrow website however looks slightly disturbing...How reassuring to know that we will never become that obsessive over something as paltry as bloody great, enormorous, gorgeous, spectacular, impressive marrow or pumpkin!

Nice to see you bring a little ladylike decorum to the allotmenteering fraternity with your dressmakers tape...sadly I was brought up to measure everything as "nigh on a foot yard" or a "thick wide"... Or... 'bout as big as my 'ead.

I don't think the pumpkins mind though.

GM

Frankie said...

Most females are justifiably sceptical of male "big as my arm" exaggerations!

Simon-the-marrow of course is much bigger than my arm, and will be much bigger than our rival marrow grower's vegetable...